Search This Blog

Monday, May 23, 2011

The Hideaway - Colton, NY

To me, Mother's Day is a Brunch event.  Maybe because it's so traditional to cook your mother breakfast in bed, that the adult version is to take them out for the breakfast you used to cook them.  Certainly, there are many places out there that do a better job than I could with breakfast, and that way mom gets whatever she's in the mood food (although I know most moms are just pleased for the thought and effort).  Well, this Mother's Day didn't quite go as planned, however, that did mean I had another opportunity to try a new place and write another review!

We had called in advance to find out if we needed reservations, and were told that they shouldn't be necessary for the party size we were anticipating.  We got there right before noon (peak lunch hour) and with a party larger than expected as well, and although they did not have a big enough table for all of us right off the bat, they were will to accommodate us however we were most comfortable - we could either take 2 tables or wait for a larger table to open up.  We came up with an even better solution, and settled into the picnic table just off the porch since the weather was fantastic.  Because of the timing, they were willing to offer breakfast and lunch, so our party took advantage of both menu options.

This restaurant is pretty basic - simple, good food with no frills to detract from the at home atmosphere.  The small space has a short counter for about 4 people to mosey up and eat and about 8 to 10 tables, mainly 2 and 4 tops with basic banquet chairs.  This is your basic country, maintain restaurant caters to the local community.  It is right off the main road near a gas station and not even in the center of town.  Give it's "off the beaten path" location, you know it's good since it's stayed in business.  The simple atmosphere is also reflected in the down to earth prices - this is definitely a contender in the "best food for the price" category...  If I were to give awards.

While service was good, all of our needs were met, although I wasn't overly impressed.  However, I do have to give our waitress credit since refilling our water and checking in on us did require going outside - out of sight, out of mind, and I never really felt forgotten about.  Given the circumstances, I think they did a good job.  I certainly could have gotten up and gone inside to ask for something if it was needed.  Our waitress was certainly personable and friendly, which is always nice.  That aspect of it definitely made me want to return.

The Hideaway is known for its homemade bread and their omelets.  I had been craving baked goods, so indulged in the french toast with a side of strawberry topping.  These came with a side of home fries, which I always enjoy and was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked these home fries.  Let's start with the french toast - now, I think the fact that this was made with homemade bread was key!  Much better than the average french toast.  The crust was a little crunchy, almost chewy and inside was tender and fluffy.  It definitely didn't even need maple syrup (real syrup available for a small fee).  The fruit gave it a nice extra sweetness, although I was really adding that because I thought it would be fresh fruit and not the stewed fruit topping I normally expect at IHOP or one of those places.  There were home fries on the side and I must say they were excellent.  Small cubes of potato nicely cooked so that the exterior was crunchy and the interior soft and delicate.  I think the size of the potato is always key - too large and there is too much baked potato inside compared to crispy exterior, too small and they end up too crunchy.  These were just right, and came as a side with most of the breakfast options.

My fiance got the western omelet with a side of home fries and homemade toast.  The omelet was perfect, with the eggs perfectly cooked - not runny, not rubbery and with a fluffy smooth texture.  The filling was good in proportion and the fresh vegetables were really able to shine through and sing.  They were bright in your mouth, not over cooked as if they might have been cooked beforehand, these tasted fresh.  The side of homemade bread was amazing - beautifully toasted for some crunch and well buttered.  I normally ask for toast dry, but as this was not my meal, I took what I could get.  And in this situation I was so pleased for the butter.  A perfectly butter piece of bread is almost sinful.  This bread is almost texas toast in character, but not quite as dense, more soft and fluffy.



I had the opportunity to also try the breakfast sandwich.  A few highlights:  fantastic english muffin, suspicious that it is also homemade, but didn't ask.  Wasn't a huge fan of the cheese, but I think that's more a reflection on my tastes than the sandwich itself.  I don't normally eat american cheese (didn't grow up eating it, don't have a taste for it), so I think I would prefer it with cheddar cheese instead.  I think the bite of cheddar might add some good flavor in contrast to the saltiness of the bacon.  The egg was done very well!  I think this would not have been a sandwich easily eaten as sandwiches are intended to be eaten - there is far too much food in this little sandwich, but I don't know of many who would complain about that!
The club sandwich was also good - packed with fixings!

Overall a great spot for a weekend breakfast off the beaten path.  Down home food with great prices and good service.

No comments:

Post a Comment